julietaortizlatierro@gmail.com


Sacred Copies













Sacred copies 


When I first arrived to Weimar I decided to visit Herder church so as to see the famous altarpiece created by Cranach. When I got there I was astonished to find out the painting was missing. Instead, a copy with the same dimensions installed in a momentary fake altar, replaced it. It was then when I started to ask myself: what is the value of this copy? What would be the destiny of the poster when the original piece is put back in its place? Would it have any value? Would I get the chance to save it for myself? To protect it and preserve its memory in time I decided to make postcards and placed them in the church so visitors could take them for free. The day of the exhibition I was expecting to hand them out and to show the public the reproduction live. In addition one of my professors accepted my invitation and agreed in giving a lecture there. Surprisingly when we arrived the reproduction had disappeared and the painting was back in its place. While a man worked in the final details of the re installation Dr. Boris Buden gave a lecture regarding reproduction and cultural heritage.

Apenas llegué a Weimar fui en busca del altar de Cranach exhibido en la Iglesia de Herder. Al entrar me sorprendió ver que la pintura ya no estaba y que una copia con las mismas dimensiones instalada en un falso altar la remplazaba. Fue cuando comencé a preguntarme: cuál es el valor de esta copia? Cuál será su destino cuando la original sea devuelta a su lugar? Con el objetivo de legitimar la reproducción y preservar su memoria decidí hacer postales de la misma y ubicarlas en la iglesia para que la gente pueda llevarlas de manera gratuita. El día de mi exhibición pensaba repartirlas y enseñarle a los invitados la reproducción en vivo. Cuando llegamos la reproducción había desaparecido y la pintura había vuelto a su lugar original. Mientras un hombre trabajaba en los últimos detalles de la instalación, mi invitado, el Dr. Boris Buden dio una clase sobre reproducción y 
patrimonio cultural.